Friday, October 8, 2010

Mozambique






We are visiting Mark's brother and wife in Maputo. We've encountered a little trouble on some of the streets.

We enjoyed visiting a preschool literacy program and acting out a few stories for the kids. Then we "read" some stories with the kids - some of them counted in english with me so I felt encouraged that they understood what I was saying....a little girl plopped herself down on my lap and pointed to the pictures. I asked Mary Jo what the word for candy was as the girl kept pointing to the pieces of candy. When Mary Jo starting laughing, I was told the little girl was deaf. We all laughed since I was going on and on with this child.

Interesting that all the kids washed their hands before they took the books to read.

And we enjoyed a new fruit called masala from the street market. The lady that sold it to us (about 15 cents US) supports her family with 3 kids off the proceeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment