Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving





We spent Thanksgiving with a group of HIV positive orphans at St. John's. I am sure it will remain in my memory as my best Thanksgiving ever. I cannot explain the feeling I had when Annika, Zac and I were making apple pie with 5 of the children and one 12 year-old-boy (his name is Surprise) said to me, "Deb, I am so glad you are here with us today." And then his smile. Also when the girl named Pretty realized we did not have to measure our ingredients exactly....the smile and sparkle that came over her face as she shook and shook the cinnamon shaker! And when Nkosi noticed me snitching a little piece of apple, the smirk he had and then he copied me and laughed. The pureness of those moments are priceless. It was an amazing day. These children have really stolen my heart. Our schedule is busy but we plan to get back there at least 2 more times before we leave. I wish they lived down the street from me so I could see them often.

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment